Thursday, September 10, 2009

Toilets and backpacks

I was sitting on the toilet when it dawned on me how cool knowledge of anatomy can be.

You know how parts of your leg can get numb/tingly/weak when you sit there too long and/or in certain positions or postures? I realized how awesome anatomy is when I discovered that I could name all the nerves and arterial supplies (and consequently their branches and innervations to various muscles) that are being compressed to give me that particular sensation.

For instance, last night I had this thought:

"I must be compressing the common peroneal (fibular) division of my sciatic nerve, which is paired with the common tibial division more deeply (so it's not as compressed), and which branches off (as the common fibular nerve) to wind around the lateral aspect of my knee, after which it splits into the superficial fibular branch supplying the lateral aspect of my leg and the deep fibular branch which supplies the anterior compartment and gives off the lateral sural cutaneous nerve, and that's why I have this sensation along the anterolateral aspect of my leg, but not the posterior compartment because that's innervated by the tibial nerve--the superior portion of which is not compressed in its tibial division of the sciatic nerve--and not the medial or posterior compartments of my thigh because they're innervated by the obturator nerve and tibial division of the sciatic nerve, respectively, and cutaneously by the inferior cluneal nerve."

No joke. That seriously went through my mind.

I also have an extremely heavy backpack, and had a similar thought walking home the other day as it compressed my suprascapular nerve running deep to my transverse scapular ligament.

Maybe there will be question about toilets on the exam tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. You're sitting way to long on the toilet. You need fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy "crap", now that's what I call an en"lightened" epiphany!

    ReplyDelete