Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Move

I was first to arrive at the house on Monday, August 3rd. It’s a gem of a thing: 4 bedrooms, new kitchen appliances, two renovated bathrooms, a spacious living room addition, hardwood floors, a 1.5 car garage, a beautiful backyard and a sizable basement with a washer/dryer. Split four ways, the rent comes to $325 a month (though I will pay a larger share because I greedily usurped the largest bedroom). Better yet, it’s located less than a mile from the medical campus in a safe, quiet neighborhood populated mainly by young families and older folks.

I spent the following two days either furniture-shopping or twiddling my thumbs waiting for the utility companies to stop by (“We’ll be there sometime between 8am and 5pm.” Oh, wonderful).

Parveen (she goes by Parry) arrived Thursday (from Atlanta; went to Georgia Tech) with her family to scope out the place, and Duane (from California; went to Duke) followed shortly thereafter.

I couldn’t be more thrilled with my housemates. It didn’t take long to discover that we have much in common. In fact, we walked to campus together Friday morning to have our Myers-Briggs personality types characterized and discovered that we’re nearly identical. Parry and I are INTJ (Introversion, Intuition, Thinking, Judgment) and Duane is INTP (Perception). We spend half our time together laughing; I couldn’t have designed better housemates if I tried. We’re still looking for a fourth housemate—the other girl changed schools last-minute.

Over 4 hours on Friday were spent at the BMV while Parry got her Ohio License (Duane and I couldn’t get ours because we had insufficient documentation). I fell asleep there, as I often do, and some lesbians started playing with my leg hair and a fat women sat on my head, I wouldn’t have believed any of it were it not for the proof in Duane’s camera phone. Gee, thanks for sitting there and doing nothing, guys :-) Pictures of this are forthcoming...

Another M1 announced on the Class of 2013 Facebook group that he was having a cookout Friday night, and we all decided it’d be fun to attend and meet some classmates ahead of time. There were at least 50 people there at any given time, and a pile of booze/food the size of Mt. Everest. This cookout was the first instance in my life when I could walk up to any group of people and find every individual fun—even thrilling—to talk to. There was nobody I didn’t like. Everyone was intelligent, laid-back, well-rounded, geeky but cool, and very relatable. After all the intros (“Where’re you from? Where’d you go to school? What’d you study? What kind of medicine do you want to practice?”) died down and the alcohol fulfilled its role as social-lubricant (though I only had one beer since I was the driver), there was non-stop laughter. The best part of the night? Watching Duane get hammered. Every word out of his mouth was hilarious.

It’s now Sunday and my parents are arriving momentarily. My bedroom is finally coming together; here are a couple pics:





3 comments:

  1. Camera-phone pics now! Yesterday!!

    Your walls are mochaesque. Tasty. Their lack of colored embellishments will have to be addressed though!

    Will your landlord/lady take care of the grass mowing/leaf-raking/snow-shoveling or will you guys have to duke it out amongst yourselves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you not wake up when someone sits on your face?? The place looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link Andrew, great blog so far. Glad you are settling in. This is mostly a comment test...

    ReplyDelete